Thursday, March 09, 2006

TODAY'S UPDATE

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for reading and adding comments, I really miss talking to you all and this way I feel like I am talking to you. Well it is Thursday night and I got discharged from the hospital this afternoon. I got to stay 3 nights because my tummy was so bloated and distended.
Jackson ways born March 5 at 3:15. His first few hours were very good, and he remained stable on the vent. His oxygen saturation began dropping a couple hours after delivery. After an x-ray it was discovered he had a pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) and he got a chest tube. He was once again stable for a few hours. His oxygen began dropping again after a few hours and after many interventions the decision was made to place him on ECMO ( a machine to oxygenate his blood). Because of the ECMO his head has to remain on its left side. Because of the machine and lack of movement his head is swelling, this looks awful but is harmless. He has been alert and active, and his vitals signs are staying stable.
Jackson continues to do very well. He is very alert and active, which I love but the doctors and nurses don't. Jackson has had some clotting issues which is normal for ECMO babies. Because of these issues he has received some plasma and some platelets, and remains on an increased dose of heparin. His activity level has caused them to sedate him more, they had to add Ativan to his sedation meds (fentanyl and morphine). When he becomes too active his vitals change and his oxygen saturation decreases. The neonatologist today said no news is good news. So basically he remains stable and on ECMO. He is so beautiful and I love him so much, he is wonderful. I guess that's it for now, I will update more now because I am out of the hospital. I will have Adam add pictures soon. Thanks for reading.
Love
Kimberly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home