Thursday, April 23, 2009

My birthday/ Jackson's day in the hospital

Ok I am going to start at the very beginning, but summarize. About 4 months ago Jackson had a bout of horrible abdominal pain. He basically grabbed his tummy and was literally screaming in pain. After a couple of hours of this and a few treatments, like gas drops and a laxative, even though he had had no problems having a bm, we took him to the ER. By the time we got there he was a lot better, by the time someone actually came to check on him he was almost completely better. They said it was probably gas or something else non significant and sent us home with no treatment or test. At the time we pretty much agreed with them. We didn't given this much more thought. On Saturday he did the same thing again. This time it lasted for 6 hours, he also got cold and clammy and pale. We were hesitant to take him back to the ER because they said it was nothing last time. We were getting worried and decided to take him to the hospital. As soon as we got in the car, he was fine. I am not talking about a kid who is a little better or getting better he was totally fine, he did not look or act like he had been in any distress of any kind ever. So we turned around and went home, and back to bed. We actually joked that we had another four months until the next episode. We also discussed that if it happened again we would go straight to the ER because maybe if they saw him in pain they could help more. When he did it again on Wednesday (AKA my 30th b-day) Adam took him to the ER pretty quickly. We took him to a local ER. I think this was a big part of the answer because they were not too busy to actually look and him and try to investigate to figure out what the problem was. While we were talking to our nurse practitioner I asked about the possibility of a kidney stone, she said kids don't typically get kidney stones, and the symptoms were a little off also. She decided to do an x-ray of his tummy to see if she could see anything abnormal. She did She came back and said it looked like 4 kidney stones. She them ordered a sono and some labs. The sono showed 2 kidney stones and 2 gal bladder stones. The labs showed elevated pancriatic enzymes. (Gal stones can lead to pancreatitis which can be severe). She sent us to Children's at this point. Children's did some more testing and another sono. Long story short. They are not worried about the gal stones, although his enzymes are up they are not high enough to be classified as pancreatitis. They are actually only worried about 1 stone in his Kidney. It is roughly 1cm. That is absolutely huge for a kidney stone. It is way too big to ever pass, or even move out of his kidney. It is also too big to break up. He is going to have to have it surgically removed. We were very glad to hear that our kidney doctor did not find it necessary for us to stay at the hospital until surgery. He sent us home and we are supposed to hear from him tomorrow. They have given us pain medication in case he has another bout of pain. I do not know anything else at this time. I will have more answers soon and will post updates. Please send good thoughts our way. I know this was a long post sorry. Too tired for anything else right now
and Jackson


Blogger Cheryl said...

A Birthday you will NEVER forget. You'll be 90 years old, telling your great grandchildren "I remember the year I turned 30 . . . . . . . "
Please can we have one picture? I know he's better; but still will have a couple of rough days, as will you.
I love you all soooooooooo much,
Grandma (not quite 90 yet :)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Candice and Rob Beal said...

going through all of my comments today for the first time since Jackson died......I want to thank you for sending your prayers our way.....they were,and still are very much needed....thank you for being there for us in our time of need...God bless...

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home